The Bread

Beth Moore wrote, when speaking of the table of shewbread in the tabernacle, in her Bible study A Woman’s Heart, God’s Dwelling Place,

“When the unleavened bread was set before God on Golgotha, this tabernacle shadow, the bread of the Presence, found it’s fulfillment. As the sun ceased to shine that Friday afternoon, the Sabbath abruptly pressed in. The sun set early for a while that fateful afternoon, almost as if God wished to hasten the end of His Son’s agony. “He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied.” Isaiah 53:11

For hundreds of years the sacrifice was made daily in the courtyard. God’s chosen people were seeking to atone for their sins using the blood of lambs, bulls and cattle. God gave them the guidelines:

the bread was before Him continually

the incense would burn on the altar continually

the oil in the lampstands would burn from a continuous supply of oil…

and yet it was not enough.

I am not Jewish.

Were it not for Him choosing me, loving me first (1John 4:19) and showing His love for me would I even be privy to such knowledge?

Would this Gentile be able to understand that His plan included me?

“Because there is one bread, we who are many are one body, for we all partake of the one bread.” 1Corinthians 10:17

“For the bread of God is he who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.” They said to Him, “” Sir, give us this bread always.” Jesus said them, I am the bread of life; whoever come to me shall not hunger….” John 6:33-35

Today, I am praising my God and my King for coming as the Bread of life so that even in my sin the Father might be satisfied and see the blood that was shed for me. On my own I am completely doomed to hell. His life, the Bread of life, was enough.

“…. there no longer remains a sacrifice for sin.” Hebrews 10:26

Comments

Popular Posts