Be the Salt and Light

So you ask Jesus into your heart. You realize that you can’t live this life without Him and the forgiveness that He offers and you start to grow in your walk with Him. You realize just what a complete sinner you were before coming to relationship with Him and now, in the everyday, you know that because of your sin you feel that you are not able to be used by a Holy and perfect God.

Then you come across that verse. It’s the one where Matthew quotes Jesus in Matthew 5 Vs. 13-14. Jesus Himself says, “ You are the salt of the earth…” and “You are the light of the world…”

What?!? Me!?! How?!? Have you MET me God? I can’t be the seasoning of this life… the preservative? I can’t project light to others! I am such a sinner! I can’t even figure my OWN life out.

Once you become a Christ follower one fact quickly becomes real. Just because you love Jesus, and you know that He loves and forgives you, YOUR ISSUES DO NOT GO AWAY! We have to figure out HOW to be salt and light in spite of our own issues.

Since starting the clothes closet there have been issues! I have had a sick kid several times, people have been negative and have questioned my motives, I have had arguments with my husband before going to serve (THAT’S when you REALLY feel like salt and light! More like lemon and darkness), I have been overwhelmed by the number of people in need, and I have felt far less than equipped to handle the questions asked by those who are seeking help physically, emotionally and spiritually. Just to name a few. 

The point is that life is going to happen. Just because our lives are not all perfect everyday does not mean that you can’t do what God has called you to do. As a matter of fact, if you are honest with those around you about your own struggles you can be MORE effective because people are not looking for someone who is perfect. They are looking  for someone who TRULY loves God and trusts Him through the hard times.

Maybe you are struggling with knowing that God has called you to do something, but you are scared to take the first steps. When I felt this call I had come to a place where I was scared NOT to take the first steps. I was so tired of living in fear when God’s Word says “FEAR NOT” over 300 times! I was tired of NOT taking God at His Word and trusting Him.

When He spoke to me about this I:

*immediately asked people to pray, but not everyone. I tried very hard to keep this between me and God and I asked those that prayed to just pray for clarity, direction and for doors to open if this truly was God’s plan.

*I journaled. I wrote down my thoughts, fears, confessions of sin in this time.

*tried to be still and let God work the pieces into place once I surrendered. I tried not to go around asking for donations of clothes, but let the word spread through the people I’d ask to pray. A friend of mine brought clothes to my house to store in my garage before I’d ever told her about it. She said, “I think I am suppose to give these to you. Why?” HA! Oh, I still get butterflies thinking about that! I just didn’t want this to be about ME and what I was doing. I wanted God to fuel it and I was going to respond.

*I approached the church and asked them to begin to pray about it, but I tried hard not to push. I tried to remain open to the fact that God might NOT be telling the church that this was His vision for them and I needed to be willing to go and rent a building if that was what it took to obey. How I would pay for that building? I had no idea, but I knew that I would do something! I could no longer stand before Him in rebellion when He had directed me in other ways before and I had failed to respond.

I just want to encourage Christ followers to do that… FOLLOW CHRIST!! I have so many struggles and am so insecure you would NOT believe it!! It’s just that my life had to go in a direction that was not my own. I was stuck, but God was speaking and my own ways were just all dead ends. I know that it’s hard, and I know that it’s a road that is covered with opposition, but our God is ALREADY there. He’s clearing the way whether you see the entire path or not. Just start. Just take the step that He’s calling you to take, PRAY LIKE MAD and get in His Word and hold HIs hand. You will be completely amazed at the adventure that He takes you on.

Leave me a comment and I will pray for you. I can’t wait to see what God’s doing in your lives!!

Comments

Mandy Goldbach said…
I love reading your blog Melissa! I would covet your prayers! I am starting a women's bible study at our new church (totally God's idea... ) and as women are signing up and the books are being ordered I'm thinking "what did I just get myself into??" I feel called. I don't feel super equipped and I'm definitely intimidated and nervous! I would love your prayers. And thank you for all the ways you've helped me, and been an example to me as a godly woman and mentor. I just wish I had more time in the day to go get coffee and get to know you better! Love you sister =) Hugely respect you and your huge faith.

Popular Posts