The Dreams He Dreams

Not long ago a few of my friends and I met with some recent graduates to do a book on prayer. These girls are so much more spiritually mature that I ever dreamed of being at their age! We wanted to meet with them to let them know that we’d be praying for each of them as they moved to the next intimidating, exciting, overwhelming and interesting part of life. We also wanted to give them a tool to use as they move into this new phase of life so that they will have a strong prayer life moving into adulthood.

One thing that the book pointed out was to continue to pray for your dreams. We went around the table and each girl shared their dreams for the future. They were precious! Some wanted to be wives and moms. Some wanted to travel the world and live on different continents and some wanted to lead worship! Some were silly (be a pop star… even though I can’t sing!)  and some very serious (go to seminary to study God’s Word in depth so that I can be a missionary) , but all in all they are dreams that make these girls precious and hold onto the fact that GOD has a future in store for them.

We challenged the girls to hold onto those dreams, but to also let God have them. It’s really amazing what God can do when we take what He puts in us and hold it out for Him to do as He pleases. With God.. the sky’s the limit and we want to see these precious young women just soar!!

Now, I am obviously NOT a young chick anymore but when we got around to me the question was asked, “What are YOUR dreams.” It kind of took me off guard. Once you are a wife and mom you get a little consumed with what’s in the here and now. Dreaming about the future really takes a backseat to what you hope your kid achieves.

summer 2012 133

Never the less, I do have dreams! I’ve dreamed of owning a store of my own for SO long. Recently God is bringing some things about that might help that dream become a reality. It’s funny though… that dream is now seen through HIS lenses. It’s not really a store that I could own so that I can be RICH! It’s more of a place where I could bless others and see His hand at work.

Talking about dreams really made me think about this old song from Avalon. It’s so true. When we open our hands and let Him author our dreams… Oh what they can be!!

(and I am having trouble downloading the video- of course! But here are the lyrics that speak so loudly to me!)

The dreams I dream for you
Are deeper than the ones you're clinging to
More precious than the finest things you knew
And truer than the treasures you pursue
Let the old dreams die
Like stars that fade from view
Then take the cup I offer
And drink deeply of
The dreams I dream for you

Comments

Cindy said…
What a great idea, to meet with recent graduates and let them know you'd be praying for them. So cool. And you're right, once you become a wife and mom your dreams take a back seat. After reading this I asked myself that same question, 'What are my dreams?'

Hmmm, this will take some thought.

Popular Posts