Underestimation

You know something that makes me CRAZY!? When someone underestimates my ability to do something. You know… I get this idea in my head about how something could be done, and sometimes it sounds a little out there. Then inevitably someone standing by (sometimes a family member who will go unnamed here) will say, “Really? I don’t know if you can do that!”

WELL, they have just poured fuel on the fire!!!!! I am more determined than EVER that this too shall come to pass!!! I mean, I am on a mission and they’ve NEVER seen it done so well! Or so fast for that matter!!

There are also the times that I underestimate myself. I can’t be a good mom. I can’t keep the house clean, I can’t cook, I can’t share the gospel with a complete stranger. You know… I CAN clean, cook and share the gospel (and the jury is still out on the whole mothering thing!) but I DO second guess myself and sometimes get defeated.

There’s a scripture in Jeremiah 1 that says

But the Lord said to me, “Do not say, ‘I am only a youth; for to whom I send you, you shall go, and whatever I command you, you shall speak. Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you to deliver you, declares the LORD.” vs. 7-8

This summer the youth of our church took on a local mission project called Operation Charlotte.

998939_524702134251508_1589481479_n

They did a variety of things like yard work at a local school, VBS for a day camp and in a neighborhood, sorting at a clothing ministry and holding a block party for a group of refugees in our area.

1097998_524711267583928_135890126_n

During the course of the week they shared the gospel with kids around our city and several came to know Christ for the very first time.They were not ashamed and were eager to share the love of Christ with kids that they’d never met. 

So often we underestimate the abilities of our kids. As adults we get so wrapped up in our own worlds so much that we miss what kids around us are able to do. It is up to us to teach them that through Christ they can have the confidence to be whoever He calls them to be and that HE will equip them to handle that call. Hence Jeremiah 1:7-8!!

1001119_524360730952315_344547316_n

Even in my own ministry I sometimes think that I need to be the one talking with those that enter our doors. However, the impact that my daughter can have may go beyond my ability to reach someone. She is not afraid to invite them to church or ask if they are in need of a Bible. She has taken it on herself to be sure that we are well stocked with Bibles at the front of the store so that they are available when someone might need it. I need to step aside and let her try out her wings while under my care so that when she is on her own she has had the guidance to know what to say and when to say it.

God has really shown me that in the same way that I don’t appreciate someone underestimating my abilities…. I should show the same courtesy and encourage others to grow, serve and step out… even if it’s “just a kid.”

Hey HGBC Youth and KIDS! Your church family is proud of you guys!! We love you and are so encouraged by your service, worship and leadership at such young ages! WE LOVE YOU!!

Comments

Popular Posts