How Will You Spend 2008?

Everybody makes New Year's resolutions. Whether we admit it out loud or not, we all have things that we would like to change each year. It's not a bad thing to want to lose weight or eat healthier. It is actually Biblical to be more organized and have your house in order. And everyone could use a little more time in the Word! All of these are resolutions that I have made in years past, and I know for a fact that my family and friends have done the same.



So what about 2008?



(ok, exuse this interruption, but my 6 year old just asked me if it was ok for her to just leave the t.v. off. "There's just nothing good to see," she said. WHO has kidnapped my child?? What in the WORLD is going on here?? Ok, back to 2008!)



This past weekend at church our pastor preached on being real about our vision, our walk and our service to the Lord. Then in Sunday school our teacher challenged us to really look at what God is calling us to and His abilities to fulfill His purposes instead of our inabilities to do what He calls us to. I have to say it was quite a challenging and thought provoking day!



You know, I do not want to be known as the woman that God called but chickened out. When I look at the people in the Bible and how God called plain old people to lead others, defeat His enemies, heal, teach and prophesy I think about the fact that they didn't chicken out!!



How easy would it have been for Moses to convince himself that he just COULD NOT do it and refuse to go where God lead? And Jonah. The poor man tried to run, but God pursued Him and decided that he really WAS the man to speak to the people of Ninevah. These men, and others, tried to say no, but God's plan was most important and they followed through becoming great men of God.



Let's suppose we are the ONLY person that God could use to do the job that He is calling us to. Now, while this is unlikely that we are the ONLY person out of the billions on earth that could teach a Bible study or lead a women's prayer time or teach a kid's SS class, let's just suppose. Then let's suppose that we say no. "No, I just can't. I am busy. I have plans. I am not your girl. Sorry, God." (You know when we do that we have an "I" problem, right? That is for another day.)



Now let's suppose that we were Jesus. (Ok, This one is HIGHLY IMPROBABLE... actually, don't count on it. EVER!) Let's suppose that as Jesus God tells us that we are to go to earth and die for the sins of His people and the world, but we decide to tell God no. "Father, they are SO wicked. It's just not worth it. They do not obey Your commands and they are so hard headed! Please, Father, figure out another way. I am not doing it."

Well, what a fix we would be in. Every one of us would go straight to hell. Every one of us.

So all of this supposin' brings me to my point. In 2008 why not have a resolution that we will LISTEN and OBEY?

You know, it is one thing when our kids hear us. I mean, how many times to I say, "DID YOU HEAR ME?" and she says, "Yes." but then she has done nothing to act on my commands. OH! That is frustrating! But it is an entirely different thing for them to hear AND obey!

Deuteronomy 28 has a list of blessings for God's people IF they obeyed. Verse 13b says, "If you pay attention to the commands of the Lord your God that I give you this day and carefully follow them, you will always be at the top, never at the bottom."

I don't know what God is calling you to, but I DO know what He is calling me to. If I say no, not only will I disobey, but I will also miss out on the blessing that He has for me. I REALLY WANT A BLESSING!!

So, I want to challenge you to resolve to listen and obey in 2008. I would love to hear what God is calling you to, how you obey and what His blessing is in your life. What an encouragement it would be to me and others!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR my sisters! Our God reigns and He is on His throne!! PRAISE HIM! LIFT HIS NAME ON HIGH!! Come before Him surrendered, daily, in 2008! Palms up girls!!

Comments

Popular Posts