Saturday, November 29, 2008
So, how are you? How was Thanksgiving? Ours was fun! I am glad we got to be with all of our fam and no one got hurt. Well, you know what I mean. The family thing CAN be a bit touchy at times. This year? We didn't touch anyone in the wrong way. BUT it's only Thanksgiving. Give us time. Christmas is on it's way!!
I am dang tired ya'll. Are YOU? I just don't know how being with family makes you this tired, but it does.
This Monday my mother-in-law is having her surgery. She's really being a trooper about it all. She told me that they have to take a copy of her living will with them to the hospital! HELLO! A little morbid, don't you think? She thinks. I have a feeling that she's going to come through this like a champ! Her attitude and her "lets-get-on-with-this-before-I-explode" mentality is what gave me that feeling.
Anyway, we decorated her house for Christmas yesterday because she is STILL planning on having the work Christmas party at her house. Even if she can't walk she is planning on having her house ready so that the office (not as seen on TV) can celebrate. Doesn't that make you feel like she's a little determined? Or crazy. You pick.
Ok, reality sets in. I gotta accomplish something. Though it is 10pm. I have a feeling I might not accomplish a lot.
Tuesday, November 25, 2008
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? I wrap MOST and I bag those things that are awkward... but I do color coordinate it all. One year I did all black and white houndstooth packages and my family had red bows and my husband's had green so we could tell them apart! This year I got some bright green plain paper and then I got red and white stripped paper too. I think it will look a little Grinch-ish, but it will be FUN!
2. Real tree or Artificial? Artificial AND pre-lit, but I miss the smell of the real one!
3. When do you put up the tree? I TRY to do it right after Thanksgiving, but it doesn't always happen like that!
4. When do you take the tree down? It depends. Some years I am OVER it and I am ready to put it all away. Some years I just love looking at the lights and I leave it up until I think people are ready to call me a redneck... then I take it down.
5. Do you like eggnog?NO- Yick!
6. Favorite gift received as a child? I am sad to say that I don't really remember a HUGE gift that stands out, but I did love getting an Easy Bake Oven!
7. Hardest person to buy for? all of the men in my family. They all claim to need nothing so I just wander around the mall in a total fog.
8. Easiest person to buy for? My mom! I could shop for her everyday!
9. Do you have a nativity scene? YES, but I would like to have more than one
10. Mail or email Christmas cards? Mail and it's usually a photo card
11. WORST CHRISTMAS GIFT U EVER RECEIVED? I don't really remember anything terrible either! I guess that's a good thing. Sometimes I would get clothes that were TOTALLY not me, but nothing horrid stands out.
12. Favorite Christmas Movie? I guess A Christmas Story... I don't really get into holiday movies so much... The Polar Express was SO amazing just in the animation
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? I try to be on the look out all year... If I see something I know someone might like I go ahead and get it.
14 . Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? not that I know of...
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? sweet potato casserole, this jello salad that my mother-in-law makes... me and my sister-in-law "fight" over it, all of the desserts... oh goodness!
16. Lights on the tree? white, please!
17. Favorite Christmas song?I like Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, but without "the fates allow" part... I love the songs about Jesus since THAT'S why we celebrate in the first place PEOPLE!
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? lately we have stayed home. It has been SO nice.
19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer'? I don't think so... I have to sing the song... and even then I don't always get 'em.
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? One on Christmas Eve and the rest on Christmas morning
22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? traffic and commercialism... AND the radio stations playing all Christmas BEFORE Thanksgiving! Give Thanksgiving a chance people!
23. Favorite ornament theme or color? Red, white and green and I love BELLS!
25. What do you want for Christmas this year? To spend time with my family and friends and I would not mind having an Ipod... and a new coat.
Ok, I tag Faith, Jennifer, Valarie, Amy E. and Amy G.!
Monday, November 24, 2008
Saturday, November 22, 2008
Friday, November 21, 2008
I look at friends who are more creative, more talented in some area or skinnier than me and I get the thought that I am, somehow, less.
I think we all do this to some degree and sometimes we are harder on ourselves than other times. Right now isn't a bad time for me. That's not what I'm saying. It's just that I know that I have good times and bad times.
Do you do this? Do you look at the positives in others and allow them to highlight your negatives? Ok, maybe they are negatives, but they are differences and sometimes we see them as negatives. It's hard, isn't it?
I see a girl with a super cute straight hair cut... and mine is curly, and I think.. it would never do that!
I see hear a girl sing that can hit notes that I could never reach.. unless you pinched me! And I think I could never do that!
Or I see things that people have made or can do with their hands and I think that I could never make something look like that!
Well, it's true we all compare ourselves sometimes. It's a part of life I think!
Today I read this:
"I have redeemed you. I have called you by name. You are Mine." Isaiah 43:1b
It made me think that no matter how much I compare myself to someone else... the Lord loves ME. He came to redeem ME and He knows MY name.
And He did the exact same for YOU.
Lord, I thank you for my curly hair. I thank you for the gifts that I DO have and I praise you for the way that you came and died for ME. Please help me to look at You and the things that You have for me and not around at what I may not have. You made each of us in Your image and we all have abilities that are special to us. Thank you! Please forgive me for not being thankful enough and help me to see the special plan that you have for me. May I pursue YOU with all of my heart and not what others have or may do. You are God and You are mine! I praise you Lord! I praise You...
Thursday, November 20, 2008
Next they ate lunch and then went to the playground. They had some really neat things for the kids to play on. Here is some sort of structure that everyone agreed must have been designed by some engineer somewhere! It was really cool and it had ropes inside it like a spider web. The kids loved it!
Wednesday, November 19, 2008
It's funny to think that the things that we think are fun when we are young are SO not fun when we grow up! I remember thinking that washing the car was fun! Raking the leaves... til I had blisters on my hands was FUN! I think our perspectives change as we age and I definitely think that I need to see God's blessings as FUN and not chores!
What a gift to have fall leaves all around us. They are beautiful and I have a YARD for them to fall into!
Just today Caroline said, "Mom, look at the leaves. They are so pretty. They are all over the ground. Don't you love it?"
Yes, I DO love it! I guess I just need to show it more!
Tuesday, November 18, 2008
Of course we know that doctors are in their fields because they have a heart to help others and they have studied their behinds off to understand more about our mysterious bodies. Well, that was exactly the case with us on Friday when Caroline got to see a neurologist for the first time!! I am so thankful for our OT who worked hard to get us in! God is so good, ya'll!! I am amazed at how He has provided for us through our school, OT, psychologist, and now this neurologist!! WOO HOO! God is good!
We are going to have an MRI and some blood work done so that they can learn a few new things about our girl.
1) They will look at her thyroid and other indicators about her muscle tone... which apparently is "low" or floppy.
2) They will look at her frontal lobe in her brain to determine if there is a disconnect somehow in between her brain and her ocular nerves (which help you with eye movement and control).
3) They will also look to see if there are any areas that might be affected that could cause permanent learning disabilities.
There are some pretty interesting things that this kid is doing that is leading us to want to know more.
1) She can spell words aloud, but writes the correct letters in a different order on paper. Hmmm... interesting, huh? Even simple words she will say (for example) "I-T" for "it" but sometimes writes "T-I". WHY is that? We are not sure if she is flipping them in her head or if there is a processing problem that causes her to not be able to get words from her head to her hand and then onto the paper. It's called dysgraphia. Sort of like dyslexia, but it's with writing instead of reading.
2) She is beginning to read and do math, but math is slower... so they will look at whether or not she is right brained or left brained and see where her strengths are. The eye thing could have something to do with it being difficult to stay on task too. If she can't control her eyes then she can't stay focused. Can we fix it? I don't know!
Anyway, I am thankful that we can have this insight into her little head and see what all is going on. I just really feel that the Lord is showing us that He is working all of this for His good and one day He is going to show her and us just what a special plan He has for her.
In the mean time we will just be thrilled with this:
Thursday, November 13, 2008
See those two?
Well the one on the left... with her hand in the air... I have asked you to pray for her and have shared a little about her life (all seven years of it) since we have entered the world of occupational therapy and sensory integration issues.
The one on the right is the sweet mother-in-law that I recently asked you all to pray for as she found cancer in her body and will have to have it removed.
WELL! GUESS what God is up to?
Yesterday our little one was tested again just to see where she is with her balance, fine and gross motor skills, auditory processing, motor planning and other skills. We are preparing for tomorrow when she will see a neurologist who is going to help us to know if we are on the right track with treatment and whether or not we need to seek out more intense therapy. SHE DID SO GOOD! I mean, we are not where we need to be, but some of the things that they initially tested her for are not as big of an issue anymore. She still needs therapy and we still need to know answers to some questions about why she does certain things and how she processes things, BUT she is improving and we are just praising the LORD!!
Now, the other great news is that my MIL got some test results from 2 biopsies yesterday and they both came back NORMAL! Which means that the cancer had not spread to the immediate surrounding area of the effected place and that perhaps it has not spread to the lymph nodes. OH. MY. WORD. It was just the best news. We still will not know anything for sure until they do the surgery, but we will take it!! Are you kidding me?? We will take it!
SO... PRAISE THE LORD!! We are just thankful for little steps and are continuing to pray for more good results as things progress for both of these sweet ladies. I love them both and it is good to see the Lord at work.
Where ever you are. What ever you are facing... no matter how hard or uncertain... bring it to the feet of the Father and lay it down. Over and over again if you have to. But let Him work. He is NOT going to leave us without hope. He is NOT going to allow us to carry more than we can bear. It may seem like it, but he PROMISED... PROMISED... that He would never leave us. And He can not break promises. He just can't.
Monday, November 10, 2008
1) Hearing people chew their food
2) Seeing people chew their food
3) Hearing people slurp their drinks ( And I have 2 of the biggest smackers right here in my house! OH. MY. WORD. They send me over the edge sometimes!)
4) Men trying to drive and talk on the cell phone (they are NOT multi-taskers... so they need to stop. it. right. now.)
5) Rude people
6) flat soft drinks- YUCK!
7)mail stacked up in my kitchen
8) kids talking back to their parents
9) being unorganized (which, at times, makes me get on my OWN nerves!)
10) Repetitive questions (I stole this one from this blog, but it's SO true!)
Ok... now for the songs... this cracked me up AND I sang them the rest of the day! Oh my gosh! They got on my nerves so bad, but it made me laugh so here we go!
1) AAAfternoon Delight
3) Bright Eyes... every now and then I fall apart... and I need you now tonight and I need you more than ever! (please!)
4) Delta Dawn... what's that flower you have on?
5) Anything Culture Club
6) Like a Virgin
7) Hello... is it me your looking for? I can see it in your eyes...
Ok... I know that there are more.. I just can't think of them right now! What about you!!?
***EDITED TO ADD MY HUSBAND'S OPINIONS!****
1) Spandau Ballet's AH AH AH AH AHHH I Know This Much is TRUE!
2) Sting's King of Pain
3) Tainted Love... I want to // get away I want to // run away
4) Red Red Wine (actually this is one that I remembered)
5) Bette Middler's From A Distance
Sunday, November 9, 2008
Sometimes there are things that come into our lives that we never expect. Cancer is one of those things. This week we got news that my mother-in-law has a gynocological form of it, and it has stopped me dead in my tracks.
It has been a real shock mainly because she is the healthiest one in my entire family!! She plays tennis on a Senior's team and has amazing arms that I could only dream of having! She eats right. She walks and plays tennis quite a bit. She's healthy!
She is a very talented cook. She is a very talented seamstress who can sew like a fiend! And she's a woman who loves Jesus. Her faith is what has sustained her through the loss of a baby many years ago and the loss of both of her parents. She is organized, has the cleanest house in the world, and she is really really strong.
But this week she learned that she will have to have surgery to remove cancer from her body. We don't know what all she will have to endure, but we do know that she will endure! She has a positive outlook and a desire to get back out on that tennis court so she is rarin' to go... eager to beat this and ready to get on with life.
Thing is... this has made my husband, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, and me look at our family in a whole new light. We have thought to pray for her and each other each and every day. We have thought about what WE eat, how much WE exercise (or not!) and how much we talk to each other in a given week... month.. year. We have thought more about HOW we pray for one another, and how we think of each other.
Sad, isn't it? To think that something like cancer has to wake us up! I guess we are only human, but it's still sad that the human race has to face scary circumstances just to realize exactly what we have and realize that we had better take care of it... of them... before they are taken from our reach.
Will you please pray for us if the Lord brings us to your mind? We are trusting our Heavenly Father and realizing that He is still God no matter what! He IS in control and He is worthy of our praise. This is not only our attitude, but it's her attitude and that makes it such a gift to our entire family... to see her face this with a determined spirit to continue to serve the Lord no matter what!
Let me encourage you... GO TO THE DOCTOR every year!! Do not put it off thinking that you are just fine! GO! PLEASE GO! Have your mammograms! Do what the doctors tell you to do. Exercise! Eat right! I know it's hard... BELIEVE ME! I am the LOVER of sweets of all kinds!! But we have to take care of ourselves!! The doctors say that this is greatly in her favor and will help her heal. We have to do the same!
Thank you in advance for your prayers! God is good... ALL the time!
Saturday, November 8, 2008
Side note: Our daughter is in the bed and we can hear her making rooster noises. WHAT in the world?
So the little frogs died. Yeah. It was sad. I thought it was strange though when the instructions that came with them only required us to feed them twice a week and it never said anything about cleaning their little aquarium thingy or anything! Don't you think you need to keep their little aquatic environment clean? I mean, it came with a snail and all and it was suppose to keep it clean... all by it's little self? I don't think so! It died too. Oh well. I guess we aren't the froggy type! Caroline seemed to take it well. Since she looked at the maybe 10 times in a month!!!
Tomorrow is church and I always love going! Today's devotion in my John (Beth Moore) study was about Peter being so overtaken with seeing Jesus on the shore after His resurrection that he jumped out of his boat and swam to Him! Beth (like she's my friend) made the point that we should be so excited to see Him that we will go to any cost to get to Him. It doesn't matter what others think of our craziness!! I would rather be crazy about worshipping Jesus than crazy out of my mind!! He's the reason that I am half sane to begin with so He deserves my worship and no man's opinion of that worship should stop me! I want to worship with full abandon!!
I hope you have a great day at church tomorrow. No matter what you are facing He will meet you there! Go to worship Him with all you've got!
Hopefully next time I will have pictures or something!! WOW! Dead frogs and worshipping Jesus. This may be the strangest post ever written. Ever.
Thursday, November 6, 2008
He IS on His throne.
He IS NOT afraid and He holds all things together in His hands.
He is perfect.
He is holy.
He deserves all of my praise regardless of how my outlook seems.
He is not shaken nor caught by surprise.
He is all powerful.
He is righteous and His plans are perfect though I do not understand.
My heart may grow weary but He is enough to carry me.
He is able. Able to see past the immediate future and into eternity.
Able to carry me when I can not take another step.
Able to hold me and wipe my tears.
Able to strengthen me to bear the load.
Able to bring about the impossible.
And He IS my Abba Daddy that can not fail.
In all things.. I have to remember that He is.
And it HAS to be enough for me.