Living in Holiness- No Boasting!

"I want to talk about ME, I want to talk about I, I want to talk about number One..." You know that country song, right? The guy is tired of hearing the girl talk about herself. He wants to be heard and he wants to talk about HIMself!

No one likes someone that boasts! It is great when people have accomplished lots in their lives, and it is good to tell a little about ourselves as we get to know others. It is the CONSTANT boasting about how fabulous we are, our accomplishments, and our goals that really just turns people off.

In a recent issue of Golf Magazine (my husband's choice of reading!) there is a Donald Trump article about a new golf course that he has developed. It is true that he is extremely wealthy and has achieved quite a bit, but to hear HIM tell it! WOW! He is very proud of himself! The golf course, the multi-million dollar businesses that he owns, the people that he has around him, etc. are all so important to him that he talks about himself all the time. The sad thing is that all of that will one day go away. I wonder if he knows that Jesus died on the cross for him and that his soul is the most important part of who he is? Judging from his focus, I doubt it.

Paul boasted about things in 2 Corinthians 11-12, but they were not things like golf courses or businesses.

YOUR TURN:
Get your Bible and turn to 2 Corinthians 11:16-30 and read about Paul's boasting. He calls himself a fool for boasting in any accomplishment, but will only boast in his weaknesses.

Now look at 2Corinth. 12:7. Paul is aware of the way that boasting can change our hearts. It can make us conceited and in verse 7 he says, "to keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh..."

God does not want us to boast. He has a way of taking us down a notch when we are getting too big for our britches. Just when I start getting proud of myself something happens to take me right back to my dependence on Him. When I get confident in myself and my abilities the Lord just reminds me that it is through HIM that I can do all things... not through me.

Paul even confesses in verse 8 of 2 Corinth. 12 that he pleaded with the Lord to take the thorn from him, but the Lord reminded him , "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."

Living in Holiness is not about us. It isn't about our abilities or our achievements. It is about Jesus. HIS ability to save. His achievement on the cross to purchase our salvation. Pursue righteousness dear sisters! Seek to boast in Him!

Comments

Popular Posts